Monday, October 31, 2011

Nail It!

Yet again I've been caught up in my busy life to blog. My daughter took her first 8 steps, yay! She even clapped for herself, ha ha! She's too adorable... :) Her top teeth grew out some more so you can actually see them, -does a joyful dance-, the biggest problem I face is brushing them. -___-' The little bundle of energy would not let me brush her top teeth, the bottom is another thing, she even gets the toothbrush for me! :o


After being so 'busy' during the day, you would think she sleeps at night... well you thought wrong. I practically have to beg her to sleep, and then she would give me her usually mischievous grin before continuing what she was doing. I'd then have to fill up the bath tub and fill it with water for her bubble bath, grab her bath toys and engage her in an active splish splash adventure to exhaust her (ha ha) and read to her a Walt Disney 'Peek-A-Boo' book (which so happens to be her favourite) so that she can turn in for bed. She better love me forever for all this hard work that she makes me do!


Yesterday I gave my mom a pedicure and a manicure, after setting up and practically waiting for nearly half the day.... I finally did them.


My mom is a very selective person, she doesn't like bright colours, well I should say... TOO MANY bright colours. She very neutral, plain jane average.... but it works for her! November is the month of Independence (Barbados) so she wanted to be patriotic, therefore, she requested ours national colours which are blue (specifically ultramarine), gold (some people say yellow, but its really gold) and black. I wanted to impress her as well as put my all into my work. 1). She did pay for me to go to cosmetology classes and she did pay for my CXC ART exam as well as provide all the materials for both. 2). She's my mom, I want to make her proud. I want her to have the best of the best, in whatever service I offer. I didn't want to be a disappointment so I really had to scratch my thinking cap extremely hard.

I used milky base coat from 'Pro Nail' to protect the nail, two layers of White Pearl and drew the Broken Trident with my dotting tool using Gothic Black. I then decorated the free edge, the base of the nail as well at the sides of the nail plate with colour-inconsistent dots using Electric Blue and Yellow Submarine from Slick before finishing with Quick Dry Top Coat from Pro Nail. This design was for both thumbs as well as both of her Halluxes (big toes), however on the rest of her toes I did three polka dots using the same colours on each toe. On her fingers, I used each colour to make one polka dot in a horizontal pattern because as i previously said, she prefers simplicity. Here is the final outcome:

(Toes)

(Fingers - Thumb missing)

Note: You are free to try this design at home, please do not take credit for my work as I worked very hard on executing this. Thank you very much. :)

These are the products I used:


In Memory of Val
I named this after my uncle whom I lost in February of 2007, his nickname was Val (I don't know where he got it from). Jason (Jayson as he spelled it) was an inspiration to me and still is. His birthday is on Independence Day (30th of November), he would have been 25 this year. He was my big brother, my best friend, my confidant and I wished like mad that he was here.

I miss him terribly; he used to make me laugh, tease me and I could tell him anything. He was unique, i'm not saying that because he was my uncle... he truly was. Oh, and he loved a car! Ha ha, he was obsessed. I have fond memories of us playing my Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1 & 2, sometimes if I was lucky... he'd let me win :). He always spoke to me about the upcoming Playstation 3 and how he was saving to buy one, unfortunately he never lived long enough to see it. When I bought mine, it was a bittersweet feeling. He was wasn't there to play it with me but at least one of us got one. I remember how he would always 'predict' the outcome of the cartoons or movies we watched, I thought he was a magician, little did I know that he had watched it before me, ha ha. His usual reply to my queries were, "A magician never reveals his secrets."
He was an artist, I remember his clay sculptures, still life drawings and his many DragonBallZ drawings that he stuck onto his door. I used to sit and admire them, take my tracing paper and try to recreate them for hours. When I did Art at CXC level, I hoped that I could be just like him and have his talent. In his last days, we used to walk from my house to Roebuck Street to buy chinese food on a daily basis after work/school respectively so that we could talk. I was always excited to see him and never turned down our daily walk. I'd give anything to be able to see him walk through my door now. I'd run to him like how I used to as a child, jump on his back and wrap my arms around his neck when he has turned around to close the door. He fell for it everytime...:) I've since gotten over the anger my heart held due to the shock of his death and have forgiven the people who had murdered him. I hope he is proud of me and all I have accomplished so far. In memory of the best uncle ever, Jason. O. A. Harding. <3



About The Flag Of Barbados




The national flag of Barbados was officially adopted on 30 November 1966, the island's first Independence Day. It consists of a triband of two bands of ultramarine separated by a golden middle band. A black trident-head (commonly called the "broken trident") is centred within the golden band. The flag was designed by local art teacher Grantley Prescod, and was chosen from around 1000 designs after an island-wide contest.
The two blue bands are said to stand for the ocean, while the gold is for the sand on the island. The trident is taken from the old colonial badge, which showed Britannia holding a trident, the broken lower part symbolizes a symbolic break with its historical and constitutional ties as a former colony. The three points of the trident represent the three principles of democracy - government of, for, and by the people.
The official British Standard colour code numbers for the flag are: Ultramarine — BCC 148 Gold — BS O/002


Here is something to think about....

Inspirational quote : We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time, and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live - unknown

Signing Out,
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment